Maitake Beta Glucan Supplement Boosts Your Immune System
There are many foods that not only taste delicious but also have important health benefits. One of these foods is the Maitake Mushroom. Used in Traditional Chinese Medicine as a natural way to boost the immune system, the Maitake Mushroom has been thought of as a super-food for thousands of years. Why is boosting the immune system important? Simply put, boosting your immune system helps you stay as healthy as you can be. And, it can play a key role in reducing the risk of certain conditions that range from a common cold to autoimmune diseases. The Maitake Mushroom, with its reputation for naturally boosting the immune system, is one way you work to help keep your immune system healthy and strong. Like any kind of natural product, Maitake Mushrooms should not be used in place of traditional medicine or used to diagnose any treatment or condition. Instead, look to add Maitake Mushrooms into your diet as a supplement to any medical treatment. And don’t forget to discuss adding it into your diet with your doctor to ensure there are no issues with medications or supplements you are already taking.
What is the Maitake Mushroom?
Maitake Mushrooms are a type of wild, edible mushroom that are found throughout the world. They best known for being found in Asia. Also called “cloud mushroom,” “ram’s head,” or “hen of the woods,” Maitake Mushrooms are often used in modern cooking. They also have been used for medicinal purposes in Eastern medicine. Because of their popularity in such practices and in Eastern culture, there has been a strong interest by the medical community to research the health benefits of the Maitake Mushroom.
What are Beta Glucan?
One of the reasons that Maitake Mushrooms are thought of as having health benefits is Beta Glucan. This compound found in Maitake Mushrooms is a type of fiber often found in yeast, algae, mushrooms, and other bacteria. One of the key benefits of Beta Glucan is that it thought to help boost the immune system. In fact, there is a lot of research that shows that Beta Glucan consumed in food or through supplements can play an important role in strengthening the immune system. The good news for those looking to add Beta Glucan to their diet is that the Maitake Mushroom contains some of the highest amounts of Beta Glucan of any mushroom.
The Health Benefits of Using Maitake Mushrooms & Beta Glucan
With its long-time use in Traditional Chinese Medicine, the Maitake Mushroom has been the focus of many research studies. Evidence has been found to support the positive health benefits of Beta Glucan contained in these mushrooms. Here are a few of the health benefits of using Maitake Mushrooms and Beta Glucan that have been studied. It’s important to note that most of the recent studies focus specifically on the potential health benefits of Beta Glucan.
- It’s a Natural Immune System Booster: One of the most commonly researched benefits of Beta Glucan is its ability to boost the immune system. Studies have shown that it is known to stimulate various immune reactions. This means that Beta Glucan can help strengthen your system and help combat certain conditions, like viruses and autoimmune diseases. Studies have also shown that this can have a positive impact on the body during the recovery process from surgery and other medical procedures.
- It May Help Lower High Cholesterol: High cholesterol is one factor that can increase your chance for heart disease. And, it’s important to maintain good cholesterol levels as a part of living a healthy lifestyle. Studies have shown that Beta Glucan can potentially help lower cholesterol levels. But, studies have also shown that if you’re taking Beta Glucan, the type of supplement or food you’re eating may impact how effective it can be in lowering high cholesterol.
- It May Help Maintain a Healthy Heart: Besides the potential to help lower high cholesterol, Beta Glucan can also help maintain general heart health. Since it is often found in heart healthy foods like mushrooms, it’s easy to see why researchers have found Beta Glucan to have some heart health benefits.
- It May Help Lower the Risk of Cancer: Adding Beta Glucan into your diet won’t prevent or cure cancer, studies have indicated that maintaining a healthy and supported immune system can help prevent the risk of some types of cancer.
- It May Help Manage Diabetes: There have been some research studies that have shown that adding Beta Glucans into your diet through foods like mushrooms can have a potential impact on maintaining insulin levels. Studies have also shown the potential for Beta Glucan to help keep blood pressure regulated and lower cholesterol — both of which may protect you from common diabetes-related complications.
The Risks of Using Maitake Mushrooms & Beta Glucan
While using Maitake Mushrooms and Beta Glucan may have positive effects on your health, there are some risks to consider too. Here are a few to be aware of when considering adding Maitake Mushrooms and Beta Glucan into your diet.
- Don’t Take if You’re Using NSAIDs or Aspirin: If you’re taking certain over-the-counter medications that are a part of the NSAID family, you’ll want to avoid taking Beta Glucan as a supplement. That’s because combined with these medications it can cause serious gastrointestinal problems, including severe damage to your stomach and intestines.
- Avoid Supplements When Pregnant or Breastfeeding: Mushrooms, in general, are typically allowed during pregnancy and breastfeeding. But, there is not a lot of research on the Maitake Mushroom, specifically. So, you should consult with your doctor before consuming. It is recommended that those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid taking Beta Glucan as a supplement. That’s because the risk of taking these supplements has not be heavily researched. So, it’s not a bad idea to avoid these types of supplements throughout the pregnancy and breastfeeding process.
- Be Cautious When Taking Blood Pressure Medication: If you’re taking blood pressure medication, it’s always important to consult with a doctor before taking certain supplements, like Beta Glucan, to make sure there are not any known issues. Although Beta Glucan is not necessarily known for lowering blood pressure, it may affect a variety of other conditions that are known to affect blood pressure.
- Watch Out for Stomach Troubles: Depending on how you add Beta Glucan into your diet, you may find an increase in symptoms like nausea and diarrhea. Do keep an eye out on any digestive changes or stomach troubles once you begin taking Beta Glucan.
Adding Maitake Mushrooms & Beta Glucan into Your Diet
Now that we know a bit more about the potential health benefits and risks of Maitake Mushrooms and Beta Glucan, let’s take a look at ways you can incorporate them into your daily diet. From different food preparations to supplements there are a lot of options to get the best health benefits of Maitake Mushrooms and Beta Glucan.
- Add to a Variety of Foods: The Maitake Mushroom is extremely popular in modern cooking. And, it’s fairly easy to buy at your local grocery store. It can be used in salads, soups, and in main dishes. Use it like you would a more meaty mushroom like Portobellos. It is excellent sauteed and grilled. And, the ways to prepare it are endless — making it an easy way to add the potential benefits of Beta Glucan into your diet in tasty and delicious ways.
- Use as a Tea: Maitake Mushrooms have a part of Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years. One of the common preparations for medicinal purposes has been as a tea. You can make your own Maitake Mushroom tea by steeping these mushrooms along with green tea. Or, you can find Maitake Mushroom tea bags available for purchase too.
- Take as a Supplement: The Maitake Mushroom has the highest amount of Beta Glucans than any other mushroom. But, there are some studies that show taking Beta Glucan supplements can help increase the amount you can add to your daily diet. But, you’ll want to do some research on what type of supplement you use. That’s because some commercial supplements may actually be less effective or be a lower quality than getting the Beta Glucan found in foods. With this in mind, be sure to look for a variety of Maitake Mushroom and Beta Glucan supplement options before adding them to your diet. Don’t forget to discuss taking these supplements with your physician too before you begin taking them.
- Get as an Injection: Though not commonly used for adding Beta Glucan into your diet. Medical professionals may administer injections to patients with certain kinds of cancer or those who have conditions such as AIDS or HIV.
Using Maitake Mushrooms & Beta Glucan to Boost Your Immune System
With its reputation for medicinal purposes in Eastern medicine, there is some evidence that the Maitake Mushroom and Beta Glucan can offer a variety of health benefits. By doing a bit of research and consulting with your doctor, you may find that the Maitake Mushroom and Beta Glucan can help boost your immune system. It’s also one of the many ways that you may be able to add in natural remedies into your health and wellness plan.
Are your ready to try Maitake Beta Glucan?
Now that you know some of the benefits, are you ready to experience them yourself?